International Students - Default and Refund Policy
This policy outlines the circumstances under which defaults apply and refunds are available.
International student tuition fees are charged on a per course basis and apply to persons living and studying in Australia who do not have permanent resident status in Australia. This policy is consistent with the Education Services for Overseas Students Act 2000 and the National Code of Practice 2007.
This policy and the availability of ACS’s Complaints and Appeals Process does not remove the right of the student to take action under Australia’s consumer protection laws.
This policy caters for both Provider Default and Student Default scenarios.
Where a refund results from a circumstance caused by ACS, such as a cancelled qualification and/or unit(s), students may receive a refund of the related fees as per this policy.
ACS is deemed in default if:
- the course did not start on the agreed starting day
- the course ceased to be provided at any time after it commenced but before its completion
- the course was not provided in full because a condition has been imposed on the registration of ACS from CRICOS, or the registration has been suspended or cancelled, and the student has not withdrawn before the occurrence of any one of the events stated above.
In the event of provider default, ACS has 14 days after the day of the default to discharge its obligations to affected students studying on a student visa.
ACS may discharge its obligations to affected students by either:
- Arranging for the student to be offered a place in an alternative course at ACS’s expense
- Providing a refund to the student
If student fails to start a course because the student was refused a student visa and the refusal was a reason for the student failure to start the course then the student is eligible for a refund. ACS will pay any applicable refund within the period of 4 weeks after the default day.
Where a refund results from a circumstance caused by the student default for reasons other than refusal of visa then ACS may provide a refund as per the terms of a written agreement with the student. Students must provide a written claim for the refund request to be process and ACS will pay any applicable refund within the period of 4 weeks within 4 weeks of receiving the written claim.